Monday, November 3, 2008

Sun - Greek word meaning "to come along side"

Sun Ministries was founded in 2006 as I was seeking God's answer to my calling in life. At the time I founded Sun Ministries I had no idea how much was about to take place or the significant role it would play in my future.

The idea was simple - the church in America was divided and God was not happy with that division. Every place I looked I saw churches duplicating efforts and refusing to work together. I hoped to become a unifying force for the body of Christ.

As we moved into the future I saw several areas where we could all come together. Specifically addressing the needs of widows, orphans, the poor and the homeless. Over the last couple of years I have taken what God has laid on my heart and I have put it into a vision of unity and working together for the common causes that unite us in Christ. I will give you a brief overview and later I will address each area in detail with another post.

The Narrow Gate - Not another homeless shelter but rather a mobilization to help people get off the streets. We have everything we need to end homelessness in this country. If the spare bedrooms of every Christian family would house one homeless person we would solve the problem tomorrow.

The Mission Store - Poverty is an oppressive power. Poverty causes people to make decisions they would otherwise never make. The Mission Store gives an outlet in America to handcrafted items made in third world countries by widows, orphans, and the poor. Through this effort we help people escape from poverty's grasp and lift the out of its oppressive power.

The Spiritual POW Project - Uniting in prayer is the first step to uniting at all. This project promotes prayer and supplies employment for the homeless and missionaries working in America. It allows ministries to partner together to make a difference in the lives of those right here in America.

The Summer Internship - We need to train tomorrows leaders in a different way. Instead of teaching the next generation to lead and pastor a church - let's teach them to lead and pastor their community. This program takes college age adults to Wyoming for the summer to learn how to make disciples and care for the community they live in.

The Sun is rising and a new day is dawning in America. I look forward to the day when the body of Christ is united in prayer, housing the homeless, caring for the widows and orphans, feeding the poor, and serving their communities. How about you?

No comments: